2008年10月24日金曜日

Superstitions!

I learned superstitions in the United States and Japan in today's speaking class.
I didn't know about these, so I asked my mother and she knows a lots.
There are lot of lucky things in Japan.
  • A thousand origami cranes tied together on a string
  • A tea stalk (floats vertically in one’s tea)
  • Four-leaf clover
  • A good luck charm
  • Cast-off skin of a snake

These are five things people in Japan believe bring bad luck.

  • Breaking lace like shoelace before you get out
  • Don’t use needle and thread before you get out.
  • Getting a piece broken rice bowl or tea cup
  • Getting a piece broken seal
  • If you cut your nails at night, you will have bad luck

There are some superstitions in Japan.

  • If you sleep wearing socks, you won’t be able to be with parents when they die.
  • It’s better to eat head of fish when you take an exam.
  • If you eat a deep-fried breaded cutlet before you take an exam, you will pass the exam.
  • If you have a fit of sneezing, someone gossip about you.
  • If you good-luck ribbon worn around the wrist break, your wish will come true.

My mother told me about the superstitions in my childhood, and she said “If you whistle at night, a snake will come to you”. Did you know that? I think your parents also told you before.

In United States, people believe that 13th is bad luck. The unlucky day in Japan is June 6th because it called “day of devil”.
I don’t want believe in superstitions but I believe it inadvertently because they’re traditions from ancient times. However, I learned that superstitions are for keep good manners. People don't want children or other people to act with bad manners. Then ancient people made superstitions, we thought. It's really thoughtful because I've never thought these things.

Superstitions are interesting.

[327 words]

0 件のコメント: